Getting the 4% Property Tax Rate
An important part of making South Carolina home is applying for the 4% owner-occupied property tax rate. We get questions from clients all the time about how to apply for the reduced rate so we compiled a simple reminder guide to help you navigate the process.
5 Simple Steps:
- Check the guidelines for eligibility and required documents at the Beaufort County website
- Complete the Online Legal Residence Special Assessment Ratio Application OR PDF Legal Residence Special Assessment Ratio Application
- Return the application and necessary documents to the Beaufort County Assessor's office:
4819 Bluffton Parkway, Bluffton, SC 29910
- Check the status of your application by visiting the Beaufort County Property Records and searching for your property.
- Have a mortgage that is escrowed? Once the taxes have been updated, send a copy of the corrected bill to the Escrow Department of your mortgage company so they can update their records.
Sample Beaufort County Property Tax Bill
(for illustrative purposes only)